Heavy rainfall caused this year's Godiva Festival to be cancelled. However the Green Fayre did take place on 23 June in War Memorial Park. Some of the points made:
Holyhead RoadThe cycle lane has been removed between Southbank Road and Moseley Ave. / Four Pounds Ave. In its place there's kerbside car parking. Although a set back, I didn't complain too loudly as
- the cycle lanes were not really part of a good route as the conditions for cycling on Holyhead Road between Moseley Avenue and the ring road are pretty poor
- converting the Holyhead Road pavements to cycle paths would create dangers for both pedestrians and cyclists. Motorists would drive into cyclists as they crossed the side roads. The money needed to create a half safe solution could be better spent on improvements at other locations in Coventry.
- there's a alternative route via Barkers Butts Lane:
Tesco Cannon Park
- Roundabout junction of Lynchgate Road and Kirby Corner Road. Buses and taxis entering the roundabout from Kirby Corner Road have priority over cyclists on the roundabout travelling from the University of Warwick to Sir Henry Parks Road or Charter Ave. (western arm). Many such cyclists wish to use the bus lane or join the cycle path which begins at the Toucan crossing between that roundabout and the one at the Charter Avenue junction.
- At the entrance to the University of Warwick at Lynchgate Road, motorists from De Montford Way sometimes take the racing line, crossing the centre line at the bend. There's also considerable pedestrian traffic between the University of Warwick's entrance and Tesco.
Coventry CanalThe towpath is too narrow, but there's not much that can be done about that. What could be improved are the access points:
It's very difficult to get tandems or bicycles with trailers past the chicanes. No way could a mobility scooter get past.